Divorce and Children

Blanchards Law is a niche family law practice with children’s law specialists.  We cover all areas of children law, whether you need advice on child abduction, paternity rights, child custody in the UK, financial orders for children. Whether you are a married or unmarried couple, the law surrounding children does not differentiate. We help many parents going through divorce in the UK make child arrangements.

Punam Denley talks about Children & Your Relationship

We are parents ourselves and understand that you will be very worried about your children and their relationship with you on the ending of a marriage or relationship.

Divorce can sour the relationship between parents, but whatever happens it is important that you both put your personal feelings aside and consider what would be the best for the children involved. The courts assume that you can make arrangements about the kids between yourselves, which is why there are no automatic hearing dates to consider their welfare.

We know that you want to protect your child from arguments where possible, and mediation can be an excellent way of resolving conflicts outside of court. The law views the welfare of children as a primary concern and expects that children will have contact with both parents. However, this may not be the case where it can be proven that contact with a parent would have a negative impact on the child’s welfare.

If you and your spouse are unable to come to an agreement, you are required to attend a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting. If this avenue fails, you will then be able to seek a Child Arrangement Order in the family court. A final order made by the Judge will set our details of where the child will live, how and when it will spend time with the other parent.

You will have many questions. We can provide expert advice to support and assist you on the following and other issues:

  • With whom shall the children live? We advise on the living and contact arrangements for children on divorce or separation;
  • How often will you see your child if you leave the family home? We can guide you through the law and apply to court where necessary for Visitation, Access or Contact (referred to as “spending time with”), to include Father’s rights and Grandparents’ rights;
  • What happens to your parental responsibility and parental rights if you are no longer in the home every day? Who deals with education, religion and other matters involving your child’s upbringing?;
  • Guardianship of children and what happens to them if a parent dies;
  • Child support and maintenance issues.

We can help you with:

Discover more about our Children services

If you’re seeking help in London or anywhere in England & Wales pick up the phone on 0333 344 6302 or contact us through our enquiry form. All initial enquiries are free and without obligation.

For your convenience, we will always aim to offer telephone calls and meetings at a time to suit you.

“I instructed Punam to make a financial relief application under Part III Matrimonial and Family Proceedings Act 1984. Punam is very professional, knowledgeable and kind. I would not hesitate to instruct her again on any legal matter. Thank you for all your support.”

"*" indicates required fields


Stories & case studies to help you

Please read our blogs on our children work and practice. Like you, many client have come to us because the blogs are informative and designed to help you understand what you can do to resolve your situation.

Contact us on 0333 344 6302 for a no-obligation call